Thursday, July 19, 2007

Animal Rights Conference Preview

On Friday right after work, I plan to fly down to Los Angeles, CA to attend the Animal Rights 2007 National Conference http://www.arconference.org/ which will be held at the Westin LAX Hotel. I know there will be a lot of vegans at the conference. By definition, a vegan is someone who does not use animal products. I wish I could become a vegan, but unfortunately, I enjoy eating eggs too much. However, in order to be sensitive to vegans, I do not plan to travel with my leather backpack and instead of wearing leather shoes, I plan to wear canvas shoes. I also do not plan to wear jeans that have leather patches on them such as some of my designer jeans.

This will be the first time I have ever attended an animal rights conference, so I'm excited and nervous! When I told my son, Daniel, that I wouldn't see him this weekend, he said, "Aww!" But then when I told him why I wouldn't be able to see him, he said, "That's a good reason!" Daniel plans to become a vegetarian when he turns 18. My husband will not allow him to become a vegetarian before then because he's afraid Daniel won't get enough protein in his diet. I know there are parents out there who are raising their children as vegetarians, but my husband is dead set against the idea. However, once Daniel turns 18, he can eat whatever he wants to eat. If you happen to be a vegetarian/vegan parent who is raising a child as a vegetarian, I would love to hear from you! Just click on the comments section in this blog posting.

No comments: