Wednesday, July 18, 2007

Rabbit Clicker Training

Welcome to my blog! Last weekend, I attended a six-hour rabbit clicker training class taught by Dr. Harvey, a veterinarian who specializes in rabbits. The class was held at SaveABunny, a rabbit rescue organization in Mill Valley, CA. For more information on SaveABunny, please visit http://www.saveabunny.org/ In less than an hour, I taught my rabbit, Radar, to stand up every time I say "Radar up!" Clicker training is a form of operant conditioning where the animal receives positive reinforcement every time he performs the desired behavior. The clicker is used to "mark" the behavior and means "good" or "yes." So every time Radar hears the clicker, he knows he will receive a food treat. For more information on rabbit clicker training, please visit http://www.clickertraining.com/node/306 Now, Radar stands up a lot more often and looks at me, expecting to hear a click and receive a treat! I can't wait to teach him other tricks such as coming to me whenever I call his name!

No comments: