Thursday, July 19, 2007

Someday...

Someday, I would love to combine my passion for animals with my desire to help improve the lives of disadvantaged people. I'm particularly interested in working with the elderly which has been a rather surprising change of heart for me after the years I spent running my own home-based preschool. I became interested in working with the elderly back in 1998 after meeting two delightful grandparents of a little girl named "L-----" who used to attend to my preschool. Since then, Stanley (one of my guinea pigs) and I have visited a number of different senior centers in San Francisco and the East Bay as animal-assisted therapy volunteers for the San Francisco SPCA http://www.sfspca.org/home.shtml and Tony La Russa's Animal Rescue Foundation http://www.arf.net/ in Walnut Creek, CA. I really enjoy interacting with senior citizens and I think they tend to be forgotten in our youth-obsessed society. I'll end this posting with a quote from the famous Peter Drucker: "The best way to predict the future is to create it."

No comments: